I’ve changed this blog a few times. I’d write it, but then think – “No, that’s going too far.”
Except it isn’t going too far. And here is what I’m talking about.
Try these on for size
- If I walk into a bar and have a beer, I’ll stay longer if the bar person is a good looking woman.
- If someone serves me in a clothes shop and they are overweight, I’ll probably not go back.
- Did you know tall people get paid more?
- Or that fat women earn 30% less than slimmer women?
- Better looking people get promoted quicker.
- People with goatee beards are consider less trustworthy.
- A man will almost always make a decision on the character of a man by his handshake.
Heh, don’t shoot me….. I’m just the messenger!
All the stuff I’ve said above is true. Absolutely and totally illogical in many instances, but true nonetheless.
And we can sit here and say “Tut, tut” or “That’s not how it should be” and all the rest.
But it doesn’t change the fact that the vast majority of people are illogical, sexist, easily influenced and just downright crazy in what influences them.
I once saw a million dollar hotel business go bankrupt in a matter of months because the young guy who purchased this hip, youth orientated joint didn’t understand the basic rule. Give people what they want. Not what they need.
(If people bought what they needed we wouldn’t have an obesity crisis in the population, or lung cancer………….)
Financed by his mother and grandmother
This guy was financed by his mother and grandmother. So they had a stake in the business. So, to keep costs tight, they got rid of the gorgeous 18 year old barmaids and barguys and installed, yep, you guessed it, themselves as the barmaids.
A woman in her late forties and her mum in her sixties were now the barmaids at a hotel that was worth a million dollars in profit. But not for long. The business went under in about 6 months.
Overnight the bar went from being packed to being empty. And you can’t suddenly make an uncool joint cool.
People are sexist. They are judgmental. They are often wrong. They aren’t always nice. But that’s life.
It’s how us, as humans, have evolved. Deal with it and don’t let it negatively impact on your business. Like they say in ‘The Godfather’, “It not personal, it’s strictly business.”