I seem to be on a real “Web sites that don’t work” theme at the moment. So I thought I’d stick with it!
As an Internet expert, I look at hundreds and hundreds of web sites each and every week. And the vast majority fail. They fail because they simply don’t do whatever it is they are supposed to do.
I think I know why.
I had a look at a web site today that promoted it’s product quite well. And then I saw a web site that sold plenty.
The difference between the two- (2) was stark. And obvious. And basic.
Here’s a question:
Who would you most likely buy from?
- Someone who promotes themselves well, or
- Someone who is widely acknowledged as the expert in that product or service you are looking to buy.
- seen this person on A Current Affair,
- seen this person on Today Tonight,
- seen this person on 60 Minutes,
- seen this person in your local newspaper,
- read his articles in your favourite magazine,
- and visited his hugely informative web site.
What your web site must do
- Your web site must demonstrate to your target market why they should buy from you.
- You have to remove any perceived risk of buying from you.
- You must demonstrate how trustworthy you are.
The best way to do that is to educate your web site visitors. You must educate your visitors on why you are the best person to buy from.
And the only way to do that is with lots and lots and lots of information demonstrating your expertise.
And that’s why most web sites have it wrong
Stop promoting the products and start educating your customers. That’s the real way to long term success.