I’ve been developing and marketing web sites for 12 years now.
In that time, I’ve managed to put together some pretty remarkable sites.
By that, I mean web sites that have made a truckload of sales.
“Oi Brendon…..Look At Me Mate’s Web Site!”
One of our existing clients asked me to take a look at her friend’s web site.
And I’m not being unkind when I describe it as waste of the client’s money.
Sure, the site looked quite pretty, but no one really cares about that.
Okay, here’s the site – Marriage Celebrant Gold Coast.
Sure, it’s a pretty enough site, but it’s the important stuff that’s been changed.
Here’s how it works if you’re a wedding celebrant on the Gold Coast (or anywhere for that matter).
- A bride hears of the service you offer.
- She contacts you and asks if you can help.
- You go marry the happy couple.
- You get paid.
Nowadays, many brides will look online to find a marriage celebrant. Mostly they’ll visit Google and start the search.
This stuff ain’t rocket science.
So Ruth’s web site will become a success more because of what we took than what we put on.
What We Took Off
1. The first thing we did with Ruth’s marriage celebrant site was remove the 15 seconds Flash introduction (that didn’t have a ‘Skip’ or ‘Back’ button).
Flash can be a disaster for many reasons. Search engines can’t really read flash content, iPads and iPhones won’t display Flash at all, and it can be slow to load. Making people wait an astonishing 15 seconds before they see any of your content is beyond stupid.
2. Then we converted the web site to a Content Management System which means she can easily edit it herself.
3. After that we tidied up the web site so that when Google eventually finds it, it can see what the site is about.
That’ll help with rankings and before you know it Ruth has a thriving marriage celebrant business.
All because we took off the Flash player and made the site easier for Google to understand.
I”ll let you know how the site goes.