I’ve just done a radio interview that’s to be aired nationally later today on social media and the dangers of pouring your heart, soul and, quite often, bigotry online.
As a quick overview, my main points were:
- Social media gives everyone a voice and an audience – but sometimes people should just shut the hell up.
- Social media gives you a look at the real person – sometimes that person ain’t very attractive.
- You can educate morons as much as you like about social media, but they’ll still be morons.
Remember, just because you have an audience doesn’t mean you should say something. Sure, if you have something:
- useful or
- entertaining to say, then say it.
But we don’t want to listen to your shit.
Best Advice For Social Media Comes From My 76 yo Mum
The best advice I can give you about social media use is what my mum told me years ago:
- Think before you speak
- Be careful of what you say and how you say it
(But then again, my mum also said I should wait an hour after eating before I go swimming, so what would that crazy old lady know??!)